It only takes a quick lick of the headlines to see that this world has gone mad. This election season is beyond divisive. It’s like the collective consciousness of our country is regurgitating on itself and we seem to be on the verge…causing us all to feel like we are on the edge.
What’s a girl to do?
Let’s start here with this, Hebrews 13:14 “For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come.” Remember.
Just remember. This situation is only temporary. So be vigilant and meditate on his word and pray some more. God has got you.
Then, when you’ve brought yourself back to peace and love focus on your gifts and attend to your heart by doing some good. Here are a few ideas:
- Educate yourself. Don’t worry about spreading that education around either, there’s enough of that going around. Mike Rowe, the famous actor from Dirty Jobs, offered up this article with some great reads to help.
- The other day, at our tailgate of all places, a wise young soul recommended that each individual scrutinize the local political scene more intensely than the national political scene (or at least equally as much). It is at the local level where we can affect policy and change. I thought that was a smart appeal. Try that one!
- Maybe you need to step away from the political world. One of our friends was tired of hearing about cities like Montreal who are currently trying to legalize banning pit bulls. What did she do? She decided to adopt a pit bull to help train and love while he waits for his forever home. Meet Duke, the adoptee. Thank you, Jaime!
- Or maybe you want to work with a local shelter or organize a food or a toy drive for your church for the holidays. The act of doing something charitable is always good for your soul.
- Every day, every single day, you have an opportunity to shine your light. A smile in the hallway, holding the door for a teacher, befriending the quiet so-called loner, using an employee’s name while they check you out, these ideas may not seem like much but they can make a huge difference. Huge.
- Finally, this is the one thing you have control over: YOU! You can control how you respond to this perceived madness. Your perception changes when you open your heart and allow God to tend to you. From hopelessness to hopeful all in the blink of an eye. Like, what if this madness has its purpose, as all things do. What if this is the storm and we only have to ride it out?
Yum! There is a thought. Rainbows always come after the storm.
So remember, we need your light right about now. These are just a few ways to get you going in the right direction. With some prayer, the right intention and some motivation you can “be the change you wish to see in the world.”
What do you do when you feel as though this world has gone mad? Let me know in the comments section.